Saturday, July 15, 2017


Fred's  Wines

I found myself standing among the wines at Fred Meyers in Bellingham. I was surrounded by wines. Rows and rows of wine; almost entirely from California. I looked up at the tall 8 foot plus shelfs, so many wines.

The top shelves where the more expensive wines from 24-30 US dollars. I guess only the giants of the world can afford these wines. However, the truth be known the more expensive wines were across the street at Costco.

As I stood there amazed first at the number of wines, but also at the low prices. Compared to Canadian wines prices these wines were cheap, very cheap. The middle shelf at eye level had the more moderate priced wines from $12-20 dollars. Wines we pay $30-$60 for back home in British Columbia.

I wondered about trying to find something other than Calfornia wines. I found some, one small section, none from Canada, mostly French and Chilian wines. There was more space devoted to box wines than imported wines.

I noticed the other shoppers were bending over reaching down to the very bottom shelf and placing two to four bottles of wine in their carts. These were the $3.99, $4.44, $4.99 wines and these were what Fred's grocery shoppers were buying.

I had to take a look. The usual names were there Sutter, Columbian Valley, Gallo, and Beringer.
I look twice at the Beringer Pinot Gris, one I had seen it in a BC store for $24.00 Here it was $4.49 I bought it!

Barbara and I toured Beringer on our Honeymoon so it was an easy decision to purchase this wine.

We also purchased a Lindeman's Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon, not a bad wine for its low price.

The question, of course, was how much tax would be applied to the wines at the checkout. The tax added to wines in Canada a way too high, too too  high. The answer 80 cents. and no recycling fee!

Glad to say I do not live in the USA, I would definitely be drinking too much wine! But then again Canadian wines are better, right!


.







1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a huge collection of wine. Thanks for sharing with us. Collectible Wine Prices

    ReplyDelete